Saturday, July 12, 2014

The artichoke is dead. Long live the artichoke. Also: companion planting

After a short battle with aphids, and some really regrettable pesticide choices, my artichoke plant is officially dead. The pot is now a compost bin. Hate you, aphids. You're the worst.

Good news is everything else is doing OK. I've been a complete Pinterest addict lately, shameful, useless time that I'll never get back, but I found this neat chart for plants that go well together, realizing with horror that the placement of dill by my brussels sprouts was ALL WRONG.

Since Brussels Sprouts are cousins (I think) to cauliflower and broccoli, I just went by those recommendations. I also don't know how asparagus fits into this equation. I guess we'll see.

At any rate, here's the new plant configuration:

Everything in its place. Stuck the marigolds in the middle of the tomatoes, and then added some basil to the circle. The herbs are all next to each other--luckily, none of the herbs in the same container have major conflicts--and the Brussels Sprouts and asparagus are up against the deck wall. Neat! Oh and the Pickles plant basically moves wherever she wants.

Decided to put the parsley next to the peppers. I was originally doubtful of this configuration since the parsley is supposed to be part-sun...and honestly, it hasn't been growing super well in its new spot, so maybe I'll move it back. But the peppers are all supposed to be friends. Let's roll with it.

So, that's exciting. Yay! I haven't been posting a lot of stuff lately, but I have been saving it up. I have nothing to do today but run the smoker, pick at my plants, and (to be honest) day drink, so there might be a lot of random crap posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment